Saturday, January 7, 2017

Why Not and A List

At our team meeting at work on Wednesday, we were asked what our New Year's resolutions are for 2017. Since I don't make resolutions, and I set the same goal every year, I shared my usual "read 100 books". I also explained that when I used to blog, I kept a list going month to month (at least for the first few years) of what my goals for that year were. When asked if I kept that up, I muttered something about computers and being busy and that "No, I am not doing that anymore". This felt really lame. I am not going to lie, I was a little embarrassed about the whole thing. 




The reason I was embarrassed is two fold. One, a dear friend had just stated that she was trying to read a book a month in 2017. So, I sounded like I was one upping her. Two, I set that same goal every year, and have for at least 10 years. LAME. Nothing is new  and I sounded like the ass clown I sometimes am. 



This really got me thinking about what I want to do this year in my life. And I started thinking about all the things I am not doing, and why I am not doing them. Basically, I asked myself "Why not?" And the answer came to me in the shower just now.  There is no reason. 


I am tired. I am overwhelmed. I am busy.  LAME, LAME, LAME. I am always going to be tired, I am overwhelmed because I choose to be and no one is any busier than the anyone else. Basically, I am lame. 


So, I decided in the shower that 2017 is going to be the year of "why not". Why not do the things I am putting off. Why not get my nose pierced again? Why not take people up on doing things that are out of my comfort zone? Why not sit down 12 times this year and write a blog post for myself? 
Me at a punk rock show 

So here I am. Getting back into the list  business (like I ever left it) and putting out there for the universe to hold me accountable, all the things I want to do, try and hopefully complete. 

Here's to more WHY NOT and hopefully, less LAME. 


2017 The List


  • Read 100 books
  • Join an exercise group of some sort (social)
  • Take a class of some sort every quarter
  • Get my home office cleaned up
  • Run a race with friends (Ragnar, relay marathon, something)
  • Spend more time with my girlfriends (Dominique, Ann, Toni, Debbie Sue, Lisa, Stacey...)
  • Take a trip with Steve somewhere neither of us has been
  • Do one thing that really scares me every quarter (this will be easy, I am terrified of a lot of things.... mostly to do with water)
  • Resume the dates with Delaney and Ellie 
  • Spend more time with my parents 
  • Spend more time with Steve's parents 
  • Attend church more regularly
  • Volunteer every quarter  other than at GPS 

No comments:

Post a Comment