Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Cooking: quick and easy

Whew!
We finally have power and better yet, AC after a few days of not.
Luckily we left town and went to Steve's family reunion for most of the time, but our house was over 90 degrees inside when we got home.

So, today, while it was cooling back down to a reasonable 73 degrees,
I ran errands and bought replacement groceries.
Dinner was thrown together and easy peasy delicious!
 Grilled chicken, homemade pesto with pasta, tomato and cucumber salad, and roasted broccoli was thrown together in a matter of 45 minutes and dishes are DONE!


*I am lucky enough to have a garden full of treats to go and forage from. Basil is my number one producer this year, so pesto was in order.

Here is a quick recipe to tide you over until I get myself back in order.

Easy Fresh from My Garden Pesto

25 basil leaves
1 tbl. garlic, chopped
2 tbl. olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup walnuts 
salt to taste


In a food processor, blend all ingredients until  desired consistency. Serve over pasta, chicken, fish or like me, over roasted veggies.

For additional healthy, add a handful of spinach to the mix. If your pesto is too thick, add a little olive oil. I use walnuts  sometimes because they are full of fiber and make my pesto a little chunkier. I also use roasted pinenuts when I make a lot of batches. I don't eat a lot of dairy, so nutritional yeast is my go to for that. You can find it in any health food store.


PS...
how we roll at Casa Swann




No comments:

Post a Comment