Monday, April 11, 2011

Cooking: It's what's for dinner

Life is grand...it is warm...I am hungry!

My family survived on random foods last week, including a meal out at a restaurant that I love and didn't get to go to (Boo for me!). I worked three nights and several days, which is unusual for me. While I know everyone else does it and survives, well, I don't do it enough to get into a routine and be my super hero mom self.  I become whiney and feel like a failure (Joking. About the failure part, I am always whiney!)

So, routine went out the window and  my house fell into ruin. 
I survived on lemon Lara bars, carrots, peanut butter crackers and large amounts of donut holes (don't ask).

This week, however, it is different.
This week, we are back into our routine and I am even volunteering at school for the first time in weeks.  
This week we are eating like a healthy mindful mom lives in our house.

We are eating my favorites this week, which will make some people extremely happy and some very sad. Mostly me happy, mostly my family sad. (Boo for them!)

Dinner at Casa Swann will be "mom-centric"
Fish tacos with homemade slaw (recipe for the slaw to follow)
Spinach Ravioli (cheese-less) with red sauce (LOTS of garlic!)
Greek Salad with garbanzo beans (again, cheese-less) and bbq chicken (my concession to the whiney meat eating lot)
Zuchini and sweet potato frittata with green salad with apples, almonds and peppers

The weekend is so fly- by-the-seat-of-our-pants...this weekend alone we have dinner for a friend's birthday, soccer, bike rides, plant sale (yippee!), David Sedaris tickets, and church. I try to plan something, at least to have it in the fridge, but usually it end up being Monday's dinner.

 I would love to hear what you are eating. Shoot me an email.
Here is the recipe for the best slaw in the world.
For the record it is Martha Hall Foose's recipe from her cookbook Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.
She is the best EVER! I went to her book signing and she cooked and then signed books. I later emailed her to ask her where she got her apron (my mom wanted one) and she emailed me back like I was her best friend instead of some random stalker. 
Buy her book. 

Three-Day Slaw
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. Dry mustard
1 tsp. Celery seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup corn or vegetable oil
1 small head green cabbage, shredded
1 small white onion halved and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1 cup shredded carrots

In small saucepan over med. heat, combine the first 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the oil. cool about 30 minutes.
In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour warm dressing over mixture and mix well. Cover and marinate 8 hours in the fridge. Keep up to three days! 

Love this with hot dogs, salmon sandwiches, and fish tacos. Bet it would be good with bbq chicken or beef as well.




1 comment:

  1. hot dogs, salmon and fish tacos? Are you still a veggiettttarrrian?

    ps...I just won two free tickets to Sedaris on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete