Thursday, January 15, 2015

Reading: Century Trilogy

I am two thirds of the way through my third book of the year. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett is literally a heavy book coming in at over 1,000 pages. I could get a workout reading the hardback version.  Luckily, I am reading it on my beloved Kindle, so I am not exhausted from holding the darn thing.And when I fall asleep holding, I don't end up with a black eye!

I started reading it based on the recommendation by my best friend, husband and mother-in-law, three of the biggest readers I know. Varied in what they read, I felt that if all three liked it enough to recommend it, then I too would enjoy reading the series.

 Fall of Giants - US



My husband was the clincher with his statement that it reminded him of Downton Abbey. I am a huge fan of Downton Abbey, being one of the few who did not cheat and find it online before it was premiered  in the USA two weeks ago.

 



So,  here I am, impatiently  reading this massive book about World War I. For the most part, I am enjoying the story. I love  historical fiction, especially when it pertains to women. And Fall of Giants has several main characters who are women, both upper and working class. These women faced struggles that I have no idea how I would handle. Not being able to vote, own property, have my own money, being intelligent but at the mercy of your male relatives when it comes to education. Following the story of the working class who at that point in time could not vote (men or women) who were most affected by war and the ruling class's loyalty to "the old ways" is heart wrenching. We've come a long way, baby.

All in all, this is good book that I would recommend as light reading for history buffs. I feel there is a little too much gratuitous sex that has no point. And a little convenience when it comes to historical facts (the Christmas day soccer game in no man's land, for instance). But a good book that is worth reading if you like historical fiction and like me, love Downton Abbey with the upstairs/downstairs drama.   I am ready to finish it and move on to something else...What Alice Forgot, to be exact!

PS LOVING the story lines this season on Downton. Miss Bunting is going to be trouble for sure! Thomas has feelings!   Tom Branson, hot as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment