Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cooking: Stinky foods...warm hearts?



Garlic.

Love, love, love it! 

No wonder my favorite foods are Mexican, Italian,
Indian and Middle Eastern.
Garlic smells like comfort to me. 
That is, when it is cooking and not when I can smell my own breath!  Luckily, my husband shares my love and we are stinky together. 

Credit
Last night I made Garlic Shrimp. Super yummy, super easy and of course, super garlic! Truly best when served with bread, so you can soak up the yummy garlic shrimp sauce.
Here is the recipe. 


Garlic Shrimp

serves 4

1 1/2 pounds of shrimp, peeled
5 cloves garlic, minced ( I use jar garlic because life is short)
1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
lemon

 Oven to 500. You will need a baking dish that holds the shrimp snugly in as close to a single layer as possible, but still touching. I used a 4x6 baking dish. Arrange shrimp in pan.  In small skillet, add olive oil, red pepper and garlic. Saute until just beginning to color. Pour over shrimp and stir to coat.  Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil and bake until almost completely done, about 10-15 minutes. Or if you are like me and you put them in a 250 oven because you didn't look while you were turhing on the oven, 20 minutes. (Will continue to cook for a minute or two after you pull them out, so don't overcook.) Squeeze lemon over shrimp to serve.   Make sure you pour some of the garlic olive oil sauce over and soak it up with your bread.Yum.

Delicious with Italian or sour dough bread and what else, Strawberry Salad!



(As we were leaving town this weekend, but are not now, my menu is pretty spartan. Salad, grilled chicken,  veggie tacos and last night's dinner are what we are eating. Almost all of it contains garlic! )

No comments:

Post a Comment