Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Food: let them eat cake!

I ate so much cake this weekend... 
First it was birthday cake. Someone I don't know had a party, 
we crashed it and they had delicious cake with strawberry and whipped cream filling. 
Delicious.

Then it was birthday cake again.
My daughter wanted a key lime cake and so I made one up. 
It was truly delicious, if I do say so. 

Last, my sweet friend, at whose request we crashed said party on Friday, brought over wedding cake from someone's wedding (again, Stranger Cake, which I now love very much). 
It was strawberry and wonderful. 

Needless to say, I gained five pounds this weekend and did not indulge in anything else fabulous.
I had loads of salad ( mine and at a restaurant). 
But, it was a holiday and I really loved every bite. 
There was no mindless eating, even of the Stranger Cake. 


So, in the words of Marie Antoinette..."Eat Cake!"
Obviously, I missed my calling as a food photographer!




Here is the recipe for our cake.
It is a very dense, rich cake almost like pound cake, except moist. Enjoy!

Delaney's Key Lime Cake

Cake
1  box white cake mix
1 can coconut milk (I used light)
1/2 cup key lime juice
3 eggs
1/4 cup veg. oil (I used olive oil, as I was out of veg.)
zest of one lime


Mix together mix, coconut milk, eggs, oil, and juice. Stir in zest.  Grease and line two 9" round cake pans with waxed paper. Fill and bake until done (approximately 32 minutes). 

Remove from oven and cool five minutes. Invert pans onto waxed paper and leave in pans, upside down until completely cooled (this will make your layers very level and somewhat flatter. Don't worry, it's all good.


Frosting
1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbl. lime juice
lime zest (I used about half a lime)


Whip butter until fluffy ( I did all of this by hand as my mixer is broken). Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Add vanilla and lime juice. Add remaining sugar, cup by cup mixing thoroughly. Add zest and stir in well.  Frosts two 9" layer cakes.  YUM!



No comments:

Post a Comment