Saturday, June 2, 2012

Eating: A recipe for the weekend


Strawberries are almost gone here in Tennessee.
Of course, you can get the giant California ones, but who wants to eat strawberries that were picked last week when you can get ones that were picked hours ago.
I will go back to eating the big ones when the local ones are gone, but for now, I am enjoying them as much as I possibly can. Which means I have strawberry juice on my nose on occasion.


Here is a recipe I made up (I am famous for this) based on a couple of different things I had eaten before. It got rave reviews from my husband and mother-in-law. The ground pepper is a must. If you don't grind your pepper, go get yourself a grinder TODAY. There is no reason a grownup does not own his or her own pepper grinder. 
But I digress.
Enjoy.

Strawberry Cashew Salad
(serves 4)
(all measurements are approximate as I do not measure when I cook, only when I bake)

1 cup raw cashews
2 avocados
Tennessee strawberries 
8 ounces spinach or salad mix
 Dijon mustard vinaigrette*
salt and fresh ground pepper

In a oven heated to 300, roast cashews until golden brown. Lightly salt and cool. In a bowl, cube the avocado and slice enough strawberries to equal the amount of avocados. Add greens and cashews. Toss lightly  with desired amount of dressing and salt and pepper to taste. 


Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
(again, approximate as I don't measure, but this makes a lot and it will keep for a week)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
salt and ground pepper to taste 


* This salad is a make and eat salad. It does not hold up at all once you add the dressing and toss it.




No comments:

Post a Comment