Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Food: Stuffed poblanos recipe


I spent a large a fair amount of time surfing the 'net looking at food.

I really enjoying reading about foods that people cook. I have picked up several new techniques by doing this, including cooking a very juicy chicken breast on the grill (indirect heat) and pulling the pit out of an avocado the easiest way (hacking into it with the knife). My newest skill is roasting peppers. 

Being from Texas, I love peppers. Spicy, smoky peppers are my very favorite and I took it for granted that all Mexican restaurants serve #1 Tex Mex food and #2 Vegetarian stuffed poblano peppers. WRONG on both accounts. The Mexican food in Tennessee is okay. It is very hard to find true Mexican food and even harder Tex Mex. 

So, when I found a bumper crop of peppers in my garden, I decided that is what I would make, my favorite, stuffed poblanos. However, the peppers of my childhood are stuffed with cheese, battered and deep fried. Delicious, but a night of insomnia waiting to happen.

So, I got on the internets and read about how to roast the perfect pepper and I created this recipe.
Enjoy.
via


Tanya's Stuffed Poblano Peppers


6 large poblano peppers. De-seeded*
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large zuchini diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 large tomato, chopped
1 large garlic clove, diced*
2 Tbl. Alchemy Southwestern Spice or southwestern spice of your choice
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste


Heat your oven to broil. Place peppers split side down on a cookie sheet and roast for approximately 12 minutes or until they start to turn and blister. Turn oven down to 400 and cook for about 5 minutes longer. You don't want them to completely blacken, but you want them to be roasted. While you are roasting peppers, chop and diced vegetables can combine all except onions and garlic in a large bowl. In a pan over med. heat, cook onions, seasonings, and garlic until translucent. Be careful not to burn garlic (I add it in the last minute or so). Add to veggie mixture, combine,adjust salt and pepper and allow to sit at room temperature to combine flavors.  Once peppers are roasted, remove from cookie sheet and place slit side up in baking dish, making sure there is enough room for each, but that they are touching. Fill with veggie mixture and sprinkle with feta cheese. Return to oven and bake 20 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Serve with sliced avocado. YUMMO!



* Seeds can be removed easily by cutting round top of pepper and slicing 3/4 lengthwise down. Remove all seeds and membranes. 
* I use jar garlic. Easy and potent.


No comments:

Post a Comment