Friday, August 10, 2012

Reading: Heading for the high road ( a hypocrite's confession)


I know I am one of  more than a  handful of women that will NOT be reading 50 Shades Of Gray. 
I know this because I asked my facebook friends and most of the ones who replied said they were not reading it, some with a resounding NO!

I am not against this book, or any book for that matter. I read a few of the Cinderella series in the 90's when I was in my early twenties, and I am certain they are along the same lines. 
But the difference is this. I am a lot a little older, and I have two teen or almost teen daughters.
The perspective makes me realize that I am into heavier kinds of books.  Not that I don't love a cheesy "Chick lit" once every two or three books. I do. But I also want to use reading to make my mind a more fertile place. And, I am fighting the fight all parents face, which is how soon to let my daughters mature.  PG-13 is still up for discussion. And so, it is hard to make the argument that a movie about teenage "hooking up" is not suitable when I am reading a book about bondage and using sex as a weapon. Pure in heart and mind is how I am trying to raise them. It's a hard enough road without adding my own stumbling blocks.

So, I am not reading it. Plus, I think the fact that it is being referred to as a"grown up Twilight" is reason enough for me. I wanted to strangle Bella when I read those books to make sure they were okay for my daughter. But as it is everywhere and comments about it run rampant on Pinterest and Facebook, I am sure I will be having a discussion about it very soon.


Instead, I am continuing on with my list. 
Happy Friday. Hope you get to do whatever you want, especially if it is reading a book. 
In the words of Louisa May Alcott:
" She is too fond of reading and it has turned her brain."

                                                                                       Source: corbisimages.com via Ceri on Pinterest





The List of Books, 2012 edition
(edited)
  1. Unbroken
  2. The Hours
  3. All the Devils are Here
  4. Boomerang
  5. Sarah's Key
  6. The Sound and the Fury
  7. Ulysses
  8. The Omnivore's Dilemma
  9. Middlesex
  10. Bossypants
  11. The Grapes of Wrath
  12. In Defense of Food
  13. The Poisonwood Bible
  14. The Paris Wife
  15. The Pillars of the Earth
  16. Kisses From Katie
  17. What the Dog Saw
  18. Wuthering Heights
  19. Steve Jobs
  20. Atlas Shrugged
  21. True Prep
  22. A Simple Path
  23. In the Garden Of Beasts
  24. The Complete Idiots Guide to Understanding Islam
  25. Jane Eyre
  26. Stern Men
  27. Van Gogh: The Life
  28. Wolf: The Lives of Jack London
  29. Salvage the Bones
  30. Delta Wedding

1 comment:

  1. I'm not reading it because those images will stay in my mind forever and I'll never be able to shake them. However, a good friend of mine read them and she said it really helped her sex life with her husband improve. She learned some stuff.

    ReplyDelete