Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cooking: Sometimes you gotta give in



Pumpkin.

Chocolate.

Brownies.

Got your attention, didn't I?
As the weather here in Tennessee has turned a freakishly cool 45 and damp, I have turned to my favorite past time. Eating Baking to warm up my house. There is nothing like the smell of something baking in the oven. I have spent much time the past few weeks on Pinterest and reading my cookbooks looking for something pumpkin to bake that was not the run of the mill pumpkin bread. I am not a huge fan of pumpkin bread or for that matter, pumpkin desserts in general. I know that is blasphemy as I am in the demographic of the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte lovers. But, while I have enjoyed one or two in my day, I am not a dedicated follower. 
But, I do love chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. And I love gingerbread and spice cake. Oh, do I ever so much love gingerbread and spice cake. Lately, I have had a taste for something pumpkin, spicy,chocolate and different.

She's not chocolate. Just spicy and different.
So, in my quest for pumpkin, spicy and chocolate I got in my head yesterday that I wanted pumpkin brownies.  I did what all people my age do when they want to find something, I Googled "Pumpkin Brownies." And, lo and behold, not only is there such a thing, there were loads of recipes. Some of them even have pumpkin AND chocolate in them.
 (Who ever heard of brownies without chocolate? Weird, right?)


I narrowed it down to one and then completely changed it to fit my wants and desires. 
I upped the cocoa powder by 240x and removed several spices. I also used both brown sugar AND molasses (How can you have mo' lasses if you ain't had no lasses?...it never gets old!). If you want a less spice cake taste, us only brown sugar. Also omit the cinnamon and add 1 tsp vanilla. 


I also frosted it after deciding it wasn't sweet enough. The brownies are just like I like them, fudgey and rich. A very little goes a long way, in other words.

With out further adieu, here is my version of that nagging taste in your mouth.
It totally satisfied my craving.

Tanya Swann's Pumpkin Brownies

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (unsweetened)
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 tbl vegetable oil
Oven to 350. Spray a 11X7 baking pan with non stick spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add pumpkin, eggs, molasses and vegetable oil and stir until mixed. Do not over mix.

Pour into prepared pan and bake 20 minutes. Do not over cook, the brownies will still seem a little like batter. Cool and frost. Yum-O!

Tanya's last minute frosting

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk ( I used vanilla almond milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


Stir until mixed. Will be thick and require some muscle, but sets up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment