Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gratituesday: Mag Rag

I have started reading a magazine that I used to think was a little mature for me.

I actually bought a subscription to said magazine after I found myself buying it in the checkout lanes at various stores around town.
I kind of hid it under my Real Simple and my daughter's Mental Floss for awhile and then realized, that no one in my house knew what this magazine was, so I stopped.
THEN...
My sister came for Thanksgiving. She asked my daughter if I was the one who bought said magazine.
Yes, she said. Then my sister gave me the look.

You know the one. The one that says "What is up with that?"
Busted.



In case you are wondering the magazine is More
A magazine who's tag line is "Celebrates women of style and substance with articles on style, health, work, spirituality and relationships."
Whose readership's average age is 51. ( I just googled that.)
Yep, I am reading the old lady magazine.

In my defense, when I first bought it my idol Sarah Jessica Parker was on the cover.  Now, I am not one to pass up Ms. SJP on a magazine cover. After I realized what magazine it was, I was a little embarrassed. But then I bought the Salma Hayak cover and haven't looked back. 

For the record, most of the articles are exactly age appropriate for me, except there is little about the delicate dance of raising teenage daughters. Instead, it is about staying healthy physically, mentally and monetarily as we enter the second half of our lives. 
Check...I am about 9 years away from *gulp* middle age.

Also, when I was 16 and 17 I read Cosmo, and I definitely was young for that rag, for sure.

I am really grateful that I have a little bit of humility about aging.  I don't plan on getting "old" anytime soon, but I do know that the opposite of dying is aging. 


And, if I can get eating and health advice from Salma Hayak in the meantime, I am going to take it.
I am grateful for my downtime with my More magazine.

PS. I have also started reading Redbook at the gym. I may be in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment