Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cooking: Hurdles of childrearing

We ate fancy yesterday. 
Smoked pork shoulder and chicken, homemade jalapeno slaw, spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts, red potatoes with mustard vinaigrette and for dessert, grilled pound cake with strawberries and whipped topping. When I was telling my girls what we were going to eat for dinner as we headed out to watch the US Cycling Championship Race, my oldest remarked, " We eat so well in the summer. "  I was in heaven! With the exception of the potatoes (of which we barely ate any) that was a meal at which most kids would balk. We seemed to have jumped a hurdle in child rearing.

 
Hallelujah!
In just the past week, one kid tried (and loved) raw oysters and the other inhaled crawfish  as fast as she could peel them. All my  hard work seems to be paying off. I have a glimpse of the foodies they will become and I am so proud.

On that note, I am a lazy cook this week. Last week of school and I am trying to get all my chores done so I can play next week while all we have is swim practice. 


Life is good.

Last Week Of School Casa Swann Menu
  • Pork Tortilla Soup/ Mexican black bean salad
  • Zucchini Frittata/ roasted kale (from the farmers market!)
  • Hamburgers/salmon burgers
  • Dinner with friends to celebrate!*




* More on that tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. Did you really have grilled pound cake with strawberries and cream??? We.did.too. So weird! That was John's birthday request!

    ReplyDelete