Friday, May 24, 2013

Cooking: I love tacos

A quick little recipe I created last night inspired by the Jenny and her pickled onions. 
Have a super Memorial Day Weekend! 
 


I have to say I have been in a food funk and this is now my favorite dish. 
The non-spicy green hating girl actually ate it with lots of cheese. That made my night, because  I know if I love it, it's doomed.
My family will hate it soon. 
Too bad.
 
Not sure why this is so funny to me...but it is. Via

Zucchini and Black Bean Tacos
 

  • 1 small onion (half sliced thinly, half diced)- I used yellow, but red would be prettier
  • 3 tbl. red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbl sugar
  • 2 med-large zucchini grated
  • 2 cans black beans, drained 
  • 8-10 slices pickled jalepenos
  • 1 tbl cumin
  • 1 tbl oregano 
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 avocados, sliced
  • spinach or other greens of choice
  • grated cheese
  • tortillas of your choice
Combine 2 cups of water with vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Add sliced onions and cook 3-5 minutes. Remove from liquid and cool. (Jenny is right, this makes the tacos special).
 
In large skillet,  over med high heat 2 tbl olive oil until hot, add onions and jalapenos. Cook until onions begin to soften. Add garlic and spices and cook a few minutes more.  Lower heat to med. and add zucchini stirring to combine. Cook 5-7 minutes until liquid is mostly gone. Add beans and adjust salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to med-low for 10 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for a few more minutes. Serve with warm tortillas, avocados and greens and salsa of your choice. (Add cheese if interested.)



No comments:

Post a Comment