Sunday, October 30, 2011

Food: I love soup II!

Holla if you love soup!!!
HOLLA!
I am going to ROCK old age.
I love soup! 
Seriously, I am probably a little too fond of it, but if loving soup is wrong...I don't want to be right.

Last night, for about three hours I made soup. I also walked around in Ugg boots and jeans as our heat decided to quite working downstairs. So, it was appropriate that I was fussing over a new soup. 
Of course in typical fashion, I thought I had all the ingredients and was missing several key ones.
Now, if you read my post yesterday, I was stoked to not have to put the key into the ignition and put the car into reverse. So, instead of going to the store, I improvised and called my husband to pick up a few things on his way home.
He forgot to stop at the store. DANG!
No fear though,  I worked with what I had and dinner was awesome, filling and enough for lunch today and maybe tomorrow as well.
Here is the recipe from last night with my changes.
I made a veggie version AND a chicken version.
The recipe was easy and I had most everything on hand. I will make this again with the actual ingredients and report back. Or you can  make it and let me know what you think. OR we could have a cook off and you could invite me over...( I am shameless, I know).
The recipe I wanted to make had what sounded like would be a southwest flavor, which is what drew me to it. Mine, with the different peppers and less pumpkin, had a Thai flavor, which is popular at Casa Swann.
Hope you enjoy.

Pumpkin chicken soup

 1 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl butter
1 onion
1 large carrot ( I used about 10 baby carrots)
1 tsp celery seed (thought I had celery...)
3 cloves garlic (6 tsp. chopped garlic)
2 boxes of chicken stock
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 grilled chicken breasts, chopped
1/2 cup quinoa- thought I had barley
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tbl. chopped jalapeno (canned)- thought I had chipolte chili
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

Saute onion and carrots in butter and oil. Add celery seed and garlic after about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper. Add stock, pumpkin, quinoa,  chicken and spices. Cook at medium heat about 1 hour. Add sour cream and cream, whisking to blend.  Add peppers.
Taste and reseason. Simmer about 15 minutes and serve.


Veggie Pumpkin Soup

1 tbl. olive oil1 tbl butter

1 onion
1 large carrot ( I used about 10 baby carrots)
1 tsp celery seed (thought I had celery...)

3 cloves garlic (6 tsp. chopped garlic)
2 boxes of veggie stock
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup quinoa- thought I had barley

1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tbl. chopped jalapeno (canned)- thought I had chipolte chili

1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

Saute onion and carrots in butter and oil. Add celery seed and garlic after about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper. Add stock, pumpkin, quinoa, and spices. Cook at medium heat about 1 hour. Add sour cream and cream, whisking to blend.  Add peppers.
Taste and re-season. Simmer about 15 minutes and serve. I added more peppers as the spicy- hater would not be eating the veggie soup. YUM.

*I am a classic fail at food blogging/photographer...here are some photos of what I do photograph.

Curiosity

Happiness

Love my city

This is why I improvised last  night...

No comments:

Post a Comment