Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Food: I love soup!


I got a request for this soup and remembered that I had promised a recipe. So here is the soup from yesterday's post. 

For the record, I have made this soup so many times, the recipe does not resemble its first  incarnation.
Here is how I made it last night…and then the “options”. This is an awesome soup to have most of the ingredients on hand and whip up. I have even kept frozen squash just in case. I love soup.

Yellow Squash, Chickpea and Tomato Stew(Soup)

                                                               1 large onion diced small
6 small yellow crookneck squash, halved and sliced about ¼”
Olive oil
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (I used Heinz)
1 container veggie broth (you can use chicken)
Alchemy Italian seasoning (about 2 tbl.)
2 tbl. Diced garlic ( I keep a large jar in the fridge)
1 tbl. Basil (either dried or fresh)
2 cans drained chickpeas
2 links sausage ( I have made this with Italian, Polksa, etc. As I don’t eat it, I don’t care…but my family likes Italian).
Salt and Pepper to taste

Saute onions  in olive oil until slightly browned. Add squash and salt  to release the juice. When slightly browned, add canned tomatoes and herbs. Cook on med heat about 6 minutes. Add Broth and garlic and simmer for about 1 hour (or as long as you need). It will thicken and get really stew like the longer you cook it. About 8 minutes before serving, add chickpeas. Cook sausage up and add upon serving. Serve with sourdough toast to soak up the yummy juice! YUM!

PS. “Options” : The original recipe called for V8 spicy, which is very good, instead of veggie broth. I never remember to buy it, so broth it is. Also since I cook for myself and the carnivores, chicken broth would be good, but I don't use it. Adding the sausage with the chickpeas (after you have cooked it of course) is good too and adds another dimension. I have made it that way and just eaten around the sausage, but the thought of it almost put me over the edge. 

Hope you love it. Perfect for those days when you are around, but busy!  Bonus, it is very low calorie and filling. Excellent after a weekend of over indulging on pretzel bread and macaroni and cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment