Monday, June 3, 2013

Cooking: Summer is for eating and reading

Summer is finally here!
We start swim practice this week, first swim meet today and of course, summer reading is on like Donkey Kong. Luckily my girls love to read. I am thrilled to be able to finally  want to read the same books they are reading. My oldest decided to read all the books on the summer reading list, as a way to be prepared. There are several that I have not read, so I too will be doing "summer reading" as well.

 

I sympathize with mothers whose children are not big readers, although it is a concept I cannot wrap my brains around. My closest experience is having them choose other things first. For instance,  I took the ipad away from Ellie for low grades on her progress report, she read 4 books. Summer is here and we have to figure out the ground rules for electronics. I have seen that screens of any kind encourage shutting down the mind, even mine.


Summer is the best time of the year in my opinion, for lots of reasons, but summer reading is high on my list. Sitting in the hammock, at the pool or on the porch and reading for hours is a summer luxury.  One we will be indulging often.

Casa Swann Summer reading Menu  
  • Turkey sandwiches/ salad (swim meet)
  •  Thai peanut slaw/ grilled check thighs/ grilled sweet potatoes 
  • Chicken pesto quesadillas/ artichoke pesto quesadillas
  • Crock pot bbq pulled pork/ jalapeno slaw/ kitchen sink salad

No comments:

Post a Comment