Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gratituesday: Thanksgiving, being grateful

Everyone gets all sentimental this time of year.
Blessings are reflected upon, be they luck of nationality or true ones such as cancer caught early.
I have always loved this time of year. As a kid because it meant family, food and fun...also the last hurdle to be crossed to the final goal that was Christmas. Thanksgiving meant new movies to see and lists to be presented for presents to be anticipated for the next month.

Santa...all I want is...
As I look back to what Thanksgiving really was for me as a kid, it was the 3 Fs, Food, Family, Fun. My parents are divorced and not amicably so.
I never really knew where I would be one holiday to the next.
Whose turn it was to "have the kids" was always a drama.

So, I would hold my breath, hoping it was such and such's house to which we were going for Thanksgiving. Usually it was a grandparent or great aunt's house (step or otherwise). I loved all of them for various reasons, but certain places were less stressful and
certain people played fewer mind games.
My favorite was anywhere lots of people were gathered. The hum of the women in the kitchen, laughing and cooking always gave me a sense of being loved.
The men, either in the garage or outside always made me laugh. The conversations never changed, football or building something, I never could figure out what they actually did, standing around.

Lots of cousins on one side of the marriage divide made for fun and kid drama involving
turf (top of the dog house) that still to this day makes me laugh.

Food, always a huge part of my life, was abundant and amazing. Pies as far as the eye could see, turkey for days and loads of southern sides. Deviled eggs anyone? Macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, ham, corn casserole, corn stuffing, bread stuffing, green beans, broccoli casserole, potato salad, aspic (gross), cranberry sauce, jello salad and rolls filled the table so full, no one could put their plate down to serve themselves. I loved it all.

Card tables for "the kids" which I sat even at my own sister's house a few years ago. Laughter and revelry/rivalry. True thanks being offered for safe travels and long lost children returned home, even just for the day. These memories are very precious to me.

My own children have a different dynamic. We are happily married. My husband is an only child with one step sister. His mother is an only child. There are three cousins, whom we see twice a year.
My family is spread like the stars. We are close, but not physically, so Christmas every other year is our celebration time. And we do it right...one house, 20 people, loads of fun.


Holidays are quiet at Casa Swann.
I am thankful that I have such fond memories of the chaos and laughter of a big family holiday. I wish I could create at least the fun for my own kids, with the noise and the laughter and the food.
Instead, I try to make traditions that we have every year. Thanksgiving means dinner with my husband's family, which now is his mother, brother-in-law and the kids. This is one we keep most years. They think Gigi's pecan pie is a must and movies Thanksgiving night with the cousins is essential to kicking off the holiday season. I love them all dearly and count down the days to seeing them starting November 1st. My kids love these times with them.

cheers!


I am grateful that I can give them these and the stability of a family that loves them.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment