Saturday, January 8, 2011

Food of my soul

I have been reading for as long as I can remember. I actually remember my dad teaching me to read and I wasn't in school yet, so I must have been around age four. I was always enthralled by books and I guess he got tired of hearing me complain about not being able to read. So, like everyone else in the 50's, 60's and early 70's, I learned to read with Dick and Jane. I loved their lives. They had adventures like nothing I was having in 1975. 

They had a dog! They had and ice cream man! They had parades! I had a baby sister who stuck foam rubber up her nose and a t.v. that I watched like it was my job.

I also liked books and my mom subscribed me to the book of the month club and it was on! 

So, reading is like breathing. I have to do it. And I read every night and if I am lucky, sometime during the day. Usually the day thing is a cookbook while I am eating lunch. They fascinate me. I had started keeping a log of the books I read and a little note about them a few years ago after my amazing friend Dominique told me her grandmother did just that. I have slacked lately though, but as part of my "to do" of reading 100 books, I am going to start it back up. My granddaughter ( I hope I have at least one) will probably get a kick out of it. 

So, I have read three books and am going to the bookstore to trade in my used ones and get some "new " ones today. (Thereby checking off  my carbon foot print "to do").

Books:2011
Le Marriage-Diane Johnson (picked this up thinking it was going to be a mindless read, it was actually a pretty deep reflection on marriage)
Lulu in Marrakesh-Diane Johnson
The American- Henry James (thought I needed to read it)


I am always appreciative of book suggestions. I read like a schizophrenic.  I bounce around from genre to genre, like I said..."Squirrel!"





No comments:

Post a Comment