Monday, January 24, 2011

Foodies unite

Don't you just love to eat really good food? I do! I love eating. Whether trying something new or eating an old favorite, eating is something I love. Food is comfort. I am stress eater, a happy eater, a sad eater, a celebration eater...Let's face it, I love to eat.


Now, I am a "picky" eater of sorts. I don't eat poultry or red meat. I don't like fresh water fish. I don't like peas. I have texture issues ( I don't like mousse, even chocolate, which is weird because I love chocolate). I can't stand carrot cake, but have an unnatural love for baked goods. So, I am picky. But I will try just about anything that does not involve meat, peas, fluffy foods, or carrot cake.

So, I read cookbooks, cooking blogs, cooking magazines and menus as a hobby. I love to eat out, especially at new hipster restaurants that are trying to be the "NEXT BIG THING".  My husband and I went to a new pub in town and I really wanted to try the fried deviled eggs. But the smoke was so bad, I could not think about eating. Bummer!

At home, we try to eat super healthy. My husband has type 1 diabetes and insulin really messes with your metabolism. This fact and also that I firmly believe you are what you eat, has made it my mission  as a  homemaker to put super healthy foods into all of my family members mouths. I try to eat as organically as possible, keep the hormones to a minimum ( I mean seriously, I have two preteen daughters, like we need more hormones!) and the fats and sugar natural.

  Now, when we go out, all bets are off. We eat like junkies who have just finished their 28 days!  We love Mexican food, hot dogs (Good Dog is one of our favorite restaurants) and Moon Pie banana pudding. My oldest somehow has a love for wings ( I find this really, really disturbing) and the youngest has never met a "steak" quesadilla she could turn down.

So, today, instead of a menu ( of course I have one and we are eating two new ethnicitys this week) I am posting a partial list of some of MY favorite foods and guilty pleasures. What are  yours?


BookGirl LOVES:
  • Goat cheese ( I would eat it anything. Seriously. A blade of grass.)
  • Tomato Pie
  • Hummus
  • Veggie hot dogs with chili, slaw, mustard, cheese and onions from Good Dog
  • Cookies
  • Really good Neapolitan pizza ( I have never been to Naples, but I have been to Little Italy and the pizza is freaking good!)
  • Sushi
  • Italian food that is NOT pasta
  • Mussels
  • Cheese Its
  • Green Curry Shrimp
  • Enchiladas 
  • Cucumbers (I eat them like chips in the summer)
  • Ice Cream ( it is a food group)
  • These weird "crab" cakes from the restaurant I worked at in St. Louis. (pretty sure crab was spelled with a K)
  • Kashi bars
  • Soup (" We have a lot in common. We both like soup, we like to talk. We could talk or not talk for hours.")
  • Guacamole
  • Anything someone else makes

No comments:

Post a Comment