Monday, April 8, 2013

Cooking: A recipe and the menu

Farewell, Lilly Pulitzer, you coolest of all housewives
Last week I thoughtlessly mentioned the delicious shrimp I made on Easter.
Then failed to share the recipe.
Poor you.



I mean this is one of the best uses for root beer outside the float. 
So, if you are having people over, or you are just craving some spicy sweet shrimp, these are the shrimp for you.

*Disclosure. I am NOT paid  to use or even acknowledged to be THE MOST loyal Alchemy spice user in Chattanooga. I know I speak of them often, but what can I say? A good product is a good product. Do yourself a favor, order some today. If  I come to stay at your house, I will bring you some as a thank you gift.
Casa Swann's No Shrimp This Week Menu
  • Grilled chicken, roasted broccoli, sweet potato home fries
  • Ground beef tacos/ black bean tacos (DALS recipe)
  • Crock pot lasagna/kitchen sink salad
  • Crustless quiche, some sort of soup 
Tanya's Root Beer  Jerk Shrimp
  • 2 lbs peeled and deveined shrimp (tails on)
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 can real root beer (no corn syrup, that's nasty)
  • 1 tbl. Alchemy Spice "The Jerk" 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
In a sauce pan, saute onion in a small amount of olive oil until soft. Add seasoning and stir to mix, cooking until fragrant. Turn heat up to med-high and add soda, cook until it reduces to about half. (This takes awhile). When reduced to about half volume add shrimp. Shrimp cooks fast, so stir to coat and reduce heat to a high simmer. 

Once shrimp is cooked, adjust salt. Pepper generously, or to your taste (I like spicy). Remove from shrimp from pan  and if necessary, reduce remaining liquid until thick, almost like syrup (be careful, it quickly goes from almost done to scorched). Poor over shrimp and serve with LOTS of napkins. This is messy, but oh so worth it.

Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment