Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Gratituesday: A New Year

2014.

For real?
I spent New Year's Eve 1999 in Florida with my sister, Jennifer and several of Steve's college roommates and their wives. We had a fairly low key night of wondering what would happen for "Y2K" as the media dubbed the "horribleness" that awaited us at the stroke of midnight.



Well, as we all know, nothing happened. We just went about our business as usual and started getting used to writing 2000 and trying to figure out what to call the decade. (The oughts?) Wacky. Here we are 14 years later and so much has changed. We carry cell phones at all times (I did not have one until 2000), we hardly write anything anymore, much less the date and we all are older and hopefully, wiser.

I look at my daughters, one who was not alive in 2000 and I am amazed that they are their ages. 14 and 12, almost 15 and 13. Life has flown by. Of course, I am happy that it is going by instead of the alternative. Life must go on and hopefully, us with it.

The new year is always a treat for me. The blank calendar is so exciting, so full of promise. I am thrilled to be living another year. Another full and happy year, I hope. One that  includes (hopefully) a trip to St. Louis to show the girls the "before", a new tooth for me (gag), a first summer job for Delaney and lots of fun for our entire family. I am praying this year for the health of my cousin Angie, my girlfriend's sister Maureen and my sister-in-law Margo.

 I will celebrate 16 years of marriage and 19 years of being together as a couple with Steve. My parents are celebrating 30 years of marriage and my sister has her second child graduate from high school. My oldest nephew will graduate from college. Life is going to be full of celebration this year.

 I am so grateful that I am alive and kicking and ready to take on 2014.

Ready to Party!


No comments:

Post a Comment